WHEN: 14th of August, 2011
WHERE: St. Columba’s School, Connaught Place, New Delhi.
WHY: A T-shirt painting competition with an aim to educate underprivileged children about wildlife conservation using alternative mediums of education like creative arts. The competition was organized by ROPIO Foundation in association with WWF as our knowledge partners.
WHO: The event was graced by Shri J.D. Salem, M.P. Rajya Sabha as the chief guest. We thank all our sponsors- Miarshi, DelhiEvents.com, Visiondis, Excel Deals, Club Mahindra Holidays and other generous patrons for their support.
- A T-Shirt painting competition was held with the theme “Wild Within”, calling out to artists, students and children to paint a representation of their inner animal or the animal they associate themselves with the most.
- The event began with an informative session conducted by Ms. Mita Nangia Goswami, Director of Environment Education- WWF India, educating the participants about Wildlife conservation and how our ignorance and neglect is endangering them.
- Artees was attended by 217 people including students, professionals and slum children. All the participants were provided with T-shirts, fabric paints, paint brushes, stationery and other materials required to paint.
- The judging panel consisted of Mr. Vijender Sharma, a renowned contemporary artist, Mr. Nitin Bal Chauhan, an artist and a highly acclaimed fashion designer and Mr. Neeraj Mittra, a painter and sculptor.
- The judges oversaw the entire competition, observing and helping slum kids out if necessary. The judging process involved shortlisting T-shirts based on their technique, creativity, presentation and adherence to the theme-Wild Within.
- Fifteen T-shirts were shortlisted and finally 3 winners and 2 consolation prize winners were decided. The top three winners were Niharika Rajput, Meyank Goyal and Prerna Sharma respectively.
- Prizes worth Rs 25000 and appreciation certificates were distributed.
- Lucky draws each worth Rs.18,000, sponsored by Club Mahindra Holidays were also drawn for our participants and attendees.
- As part of the closing ceremony, the judges were felicitated and they signed a ceremonial ROPIO T-shirt, leaving messages for the ROPIO Team.
The event also featured a riveting musical performance by the Peter Cat Recording Co. and Delhi Drum Circle which serenaded the crowd.